Design Your Style: Cottage Chic

I don’t know about you but I sure could use a vacation. Since not all of us can jet-set whenever we’d like (sadly), the next best thing is making sure that your home provides a relaxing atmosphere. With the Cottage Chic style, it’s all about comfort, a clean look, and adding natural elements wherever possible. Remember to take the online quiz to see what style suits you best and if you want a recap of the ones we’ve already covered, click here.

This cool room is from Apartment Therapy. I like the use of the oars and the rustic tables. I bet you can think of a few items in your attic or basement that would easily hang on your wall. You don’t have to stick with framed pictures or predictable wall art.

apt therapy White Plus Wood- The Cozy Side of a Winter Palette

What better way to show off these great architectural treasures than with a light background? This picture is from Blue Ant Studio.

blue ant studio feldman architecture

You have a great sense of humor when it comes to design and even like to make fun of the style itself. Which means that you will throw in a toy or a vintage piece to keep the mood of the place just like the color: light! Here, the unique lamp base is fun and adds great texture to the space. Thanks to Cote de Texas for this one.

Cote de Texas Top Ten Design Elements 2 copy

The fabrics are natural (cottons and linens) and are light in touch. You will often see animal skin rugs to add that soft element to the wooden floors like this room below from Decor Pad.

decor pad brown white cowhide bolster

The furniture is comfortable and the layout is cozy. The more it encourages intimate gatherings the better! Just watch out for the red wine spills on the new white sofa. If you have indoor pets or indoor children, you can still have this look but you will need to make the extra investment to ensure that your fabrics are protected and washable. Or just buy a lot of throws that you can drape over the stains. Another from Decor Pad.

decor pad Monelle Totah

You love old and new alike, and love to highlight them all to expose the uniqueness of each. I like how the built-in storage is modern but uses and older wood look for the doors. decor pad Skye Kirby

Your space should feel light and airy and give off the mood one has when at the beach: laid back! decor pad thanks to DTI

Much of the furniture is wood or wood framed (the lighter the better, think driftwood!) and as long as it’s used sparingly or with modern lines, you even throw in a wicker piece here and there.decor pad West Elm

The key with Cottage Chic is balance; in one corner there could be a rustic wood table that looks like it could have been found rather than made, but it is offset with a modern vase while another corner is adorned with a modern Lucite piece.Decorology Francesco Lagnese

Your true inspiration (whether you know it or not) is the sea…the colors found at your favorite beach: white and light beige of the sand, a variety of blues for the ocean and sky, and greens and pale grays of the sea glass…but the key is white!decorology Frank Roop

Don’t be afraid to experiment with patterns and colors. With a smaller space, if you have a few great accessories, you can actually redecorate more often with fewer pieces as seen here from Decorology.

decorology Fresh and clean idea houses and home tours

Who says that cottages can’t be modern and chic? Who says that they have to be floral and cheesy?  Not you! This room is certainly not cheesy. design sponge fitzhugh & lyndsay of the brooklyn home co.

You love the carefree spirit that the cottage interior inspires, but you are also serious about your appreciation for modern art and hip treasures. Here, the zebra rug and the cool lamps give the space some personality. Modern Girl Style Myra Hoefer 3-hoefer-0109-xlg-84193917

The use of the wooden pieces around the room keeps it from looking sterile.purple area Vitt, vitt, vitt untitled_housetohomee

The color throughout is light and airy, and though you love to accessorize with fun colors (the sky’s the limit with a white background), the main color seen and felt throughout the house is white or very light versions of colors so that they feel almost white.sunset magazine Getting to just right

Wouldn’t this be a great space to come home to? It’s fun and colorful and the windows let in plenty of sun. sunset michele adams and gia russo

purple area Trine Thorsen

Share/Save/Bookmark

11 Comments

1. Posted February 3, 2013 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

I’m glad to see a new post, I was going through withdrawals! I revel in reading your blog, I can’t get enough of it!

2. Posted March 14, 2013 at 9:46 pm | Permalink

Once I observed this website I followed reddit to talk about a number of the love around using them.

3. Posted April 15, 2013 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

I was perusing many your articles in such a website i believe this site is very informative!
    Carry on putting up.

4. Posted May 25, 2013 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

Wonderful, what a webpage it is! This blog presents useful facts to us,
    keep it up.

5. Posted June 12, 2013 at 4:01 am | Permalink

An amazing share, I just with all this onto a colleague who had
    previously been doing somewhat evaluation with this particular.
    This also man actually bought me breakfast as a result of I discovered it
    for him.. smile. So allow me to reword that: Thnx for anyone treat!
    However yeah Thnkx for investing sufficient time to debate this, I feel
    strongly to correct it and love reading more in this particular
    topic. If attainable, mainly because become expertise, can you mind updating
    your weblog with more particulars? It really is highly helpful in my experience.
    Large thumb up for this specific purpose weblog publish!

6. Posted June 27, 2013 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

You can also apply the oatmeal directly to the skin, it did to the inside of your body and is
    reactivated on contact with the open blisters is
    likely to get the disease. Today, I have drifted
    off subject what is a sinus infection symptoms!

7. Posted October 4, 2013 at 9:17 pm | Permalink

magnificent issues altogether, you simply received a new reader.
    What would you suggest in regards to your publish that you made a few days in the past?

Any sure?

8. Posted November 12, 2013 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

Good post. I am experiencing many oof these issues as well..

9. Posted December 23, 2013 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

Ytet n edetess pystyn taas palaamaan mm. These natural herbs alleviate
    some of the involuntary nerves that control the blood vessel
    diameters are removed. They may be the absolute last resort.

The song originally posted as Neha Kakkar Shah Rukh Khan fans all across the globe.
    If you feel that excessive blushing problem problems. Foundation for weddings should be long-wearing, meaning it should be focused on reducing stress and anxiety.
    To show how storied its history is, this
    gemstone was referenced in the Bible as well as considering a vigilance enquiry.

10. Posted January 16, 2014 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

I like reading a post that can make people think.
    Also, many thanks for allowing for me to comment!

11. Posted February 20, 2014 at 1:34 am | Permalink

Do you have a spam issue on this website; I also am a blogger, and I was wanting to know your situation;
    many of us have created some nice methods and we are looking
    to exchange techniques with other folks, be sure to shoot me an email if interested.

2 Trackbacks

1. By Friday Five 05.14.10 | The Aubergine Notebook on January 9, 2011 at 11:08 pm

[…] Friday! I hope you enjoy this week’s Friday Five! ~ Design Your Style: Cottage Chic via Sproost ~ Well Branded: Easy via Twig & Thistle ~ Bread Shoes via Design For Mankind ~ Shadow […]

2. By I Knew I Was Chic « on April 13, 2011 at 8:14 am